Pojo's Yu-Gi-Oh Card of the Day
are based on a 1 to 5 scale
1 being the worst. 3 ... average.
5 is the highest rating
Date Reviewed - 1.20.04
Tuesday - Creature
Both players select 1 monster on their respective
fields and switch control of them to each other.
The battle positions of these cards cannot change
during the turn this card is activated.
Restriction: Semi-Restricted (2 per Deck)
Creature Swap has
immense combo potential. Although it definitely
isn't deemed "Broken". Viable? Yes, but
it does take some skill and precision to use
Some of the more
noteworthy cards that are often abused with
Creature Swap consist of All of the 1400
"Searchers", Pyramid Turtle, Witch of
the Black Forest, Sangan, Magical Scientist,
Sinister Serpent, Scapegoat/Tokens and of
course Yata-Garasu as well as other Spirit
That's a lot of
options to choose from. The only disadvantage to
Creature Swap is that they may give you something
useless in return. Timing is everything with this
But once Creature Swap
has its chance, it can become very devastating.
Swapping your opponent a Pyramid Turtle/Searcher
for his Jinzo, and/or other beatstick, then
Summoning another Pyramid Turtle/Searcher only to
suicide them into each other for two copies of Vampire
Lord is about as disgusting as it gets.
Creature Swap isn't as powerful in Limited. In
some scenarios it has the possibility to be as
good, or better, than in Constructed, but it's an
uncommon site. The reason for this is simple, you
don't have access to as many "Swappable"
Monsters in Limited. Not to mention that your
opponent usually has multiple Monsters on the
Field in Limited, lessening its effectiveness.
Constructed - 3.5/5
Limited - 2/5
Tue 1.20.04 - Creature Swap
Both players select 1 monster on their respective fields and switch control of them to each other. The battle positions of these cards cannot change during the turn this card is
It’s funny, many people associate my name to the using of this card. And for good reason. Up until this month (January), creature swap was hands down my most favorite card to use - IN THE GAME. How much has changed since then? And what is so special about this card? Haha, if anyone can tell you, it would be me. ^_^
+ Field control is nice.
+ Take bigger monster from opponent. w00t.
+ Send over a monster with a beneficial effect for yourself i.e. witch, sangan, tomato, giant rat, pyramid turtle, etc.
+ Force opponent to destroy your monster prematurely (I.e. they have to waste a ring on your sinister to prevent you from taking their vampire lord. Simply evil, btw).
- If opponent has >1 monster, then you have no choice of what monster you get
- If you leave a weak mon in atk mode (like serpent) and then they imperial the swap, it’s bad news.
Combos: (omg there are MILLIONS)
* Any other possession card like change of heart or snatch steal in conjunction with creature swap is brutal (just make sure you play it right)
* Last will/tomato/swap = many monsters just got special summoned.
* Okay, creature swap a mystic tomato/giant rat/mother grizzly/shining angel/pyramid turtle/ufo turtle and attack with their bigger monster, then special summon another monster and continue the battle phase (this technique was most successful with creature swapping a tomato over, using opponent’s Gemini elf to kill your tomato, then summon a don Zaloog and get a free shot and discard).
* In top deck mode? If you draw creature swap, just grab the sinister serpent from your graveyard, summon in face up attack mode, swap over, cream their life points, get back your serpent, and you’ve kept their monster…
* Need some field control? Lay down a sangan or witch of the black forest, swap it over, attack and get the monster you really want into your hand.
* Or, swap over a spirit monster like Yata-Garasu and pass, thus you’ve stolen their monster and yours returns to your hand.
* Already have a monster out? Swap it over, tribute their monster for your Airknight or Jinzo.
* Also, I heard swapping over a spirit reaper in attack mode is pretty good…when you have magical scientist. Bust out all the fusions you desire and blast away life points…
* Got a cannon soldier/catapult turtle? Swap over a mon, then after attacking, launch their monster for some burn damage.
* Got only a scientist? It’s pretty good to pay a couple thousand, get out some fusions, swap over the scientist, attack for GG, etc. Also, your weak 300 atk scientist isn’t left in atk mode on your side of the field now. ^_^
* They have a face down monster? Use creature swap as a tactic to see what it is and play around it. If it has a nice effect, perhaps you’ll get to use it soon. =D
There are plenty more…
Basically, instead of running monsters that overpower your opponent’s, why not run this card and some nice effect monsters, thus using your opponent’s monsters against them AND at the same time pulling off some neat tricks with effect monsters of your own?
However, since dark crisis, there is, well, a crisis with this card. I have found that creature swap, usually a “2-per” in my decks, is now hitting the sideboard. Too many people main deck removal like D.D. Warrior Lady, which means not only could a tomato not get off its effect, but the overpowering combo of swap + sinister serpent could be removed due to the fact serpent never goes to the grave…
Also, never cards just seem more playable, as many players go to swarming techniques. I still feel this is a VERY strong side deck card, and I bring it in against beatdown all the time. It’s just not quite there to make the main deck cut anymore, perhaps in the next set, once Chaos Emperor Dragon and the like are used, swap will be making a comeback. I mean, I’d trade my 300 attack recursive creature for a CEDragon ANY DAY.
Oh, and should you pull this in draft, think twice…there are more monsters on the field in this type of play, and this card doesn’t have too much selection, thus it feels more pain for each monster on the field…just average.
Constructed - 3.8/5.0 FIELD CONTROL > all
Limited - 1.6/5.0 it’s hard to control. More of a gamble than a “swap”
This concludes another great CoTD card! I'm liking this week ^_~
Both players select 1 monster on their respective
fields and switch control of them to each other. The
battle positions of these cards cannot change during
the turn this card is activated.
A very combo proned
card. Creature Swap can be very effective,
especially if played correctly. It is most
effective when your opponent only controls one
monster, preferably a Jinzo. You can swap say, your
yata...thus giving you a permanent change of heart,
since yata returns to your hand. The best way to
utilize creature swap is with tomatoes, angels, etc.
Say you play 3 tomatoes, 2 zaloogs and 2 spirit
reapers. You manage to get 2 tomatoes on the field,
and you're facing a jinzo. Swap a tomato for jinzo.
Cancel out the tomatoes, giving you two zaloogs or
reapers from your deck. Massive LP demolition and
massive hand disruption. You can also use creature
swap to take a monster, say a zaloog, and swap it
for your sinister or sangan/wotbf. Disruption and
search. There's a reason this card is ultra rare and
restricted to 2.
Tourney - 3.5/5
Draft - 4.5/5
Artwork - 3.0/5
Closing Line - what's
yours is mine and what's mine is yours....now ill
take that back and you can take some damage! BUAHAHA