How the deck works: Turbo Commons 4.0 follows the ‘red/black weenie assault’ model of it‘s predecessors. Attack relentlessly, clear a path thru your opponent’s creatures with your support spells, then send your creatures over the wall for the final assault. Don’t let up until someone loses.
2) Crypt Rats: Don't just blindly cast the Rats as soon as you can. The experienced player will paint the bullseye on them for you. Wait until you need to clear the board before you play it. Make sure you have enough mana to cast the Rats and wipe the board in one shot.
3) Fireball: I know what you’re thinking. “If this deck is designed for today‘s Extended, than why is THIS in here?” Like many Magic players, I’ve been checking out the Darksteel spoilers scattered across the Web. If the rumors are true, this classic from Alpha will return to school a new generation of players. And I couldn’t be happier. It’s purpose in the deck is simple: clear the board of the opponent’s critters or just aim for your opponent.
4) Terminates and Irradiates: Creature kill spells for all occasions. I want to emphasize how important Irradiates may become in the future. According to those Darksteel rumors, the ‘indestructable’ mechanic will be the bane of this deck. The mechanic itself reads “indestructable permanents can’t be destroyed by damage or destroy effects.” Irradiate does neither. It reduces power/toughness, making it this deck’s only way around this. You’ll be grateful they’re in your sideboard when an army of invincible artifact creatures runs rampant over your local metagame…
5) Ravenous Rats and Duress: The preemptive strike. The discards deal with any nasty instants, enchantments or combos your opponent might try to set up. If you find yourself facing a creature light/combo heavy deck, swap out some creature kill for the extra Bog Downs from the sideboard (and don’t be afraid to play the kicker cost.)
6) Bonespliters: Is there any creature that Bonespliter can’t make better? Arm a Goblin Striker and rename him ’Baby Lightning!’ Slap one on a suicidal Replica or Beetle and recycle it when the tin machine explode! Laugh as your Spikeshot Goblins bolt everything in sight! And never, EVER feed this thing to the Shrapnel Blasts! ;)