Main
Main Page
Message Board
Interviews
Who'd Play Who?

Trading Card Game
Scores CCG Section
Bandai Card of the Day
Old Killer Decks
Tips & Strategies
IQ's Crew
CCG Spoilers

Episode Summaries
U.S. Dubbed DBZ
U.S. Dubbed DB
U.S. Dubbed DBGT
Jap. Fansub DB
Jap. Fansub DBZ
Jap. Fansub DBGT
Movies

By Fans
DBZ Editorials
Episode Summaries
Manga Reviews
DBZ Song Parodies
Fan Fiction
Time Travel
Theory
Voice Overs
What If...?

Information
Adventure History
Akira Toriyama
Attack List
Before Dragon Ball
Biographies
Character Appearances
Character Deaths
Daizenshyu Guide
DB Summary
DBZ Summary
DBGT Summary
Dialogue Scripts
Dragon Balls
Dragon Ball GT Info
Dragon Ball Mix-Ups
Dragon Ball Time Line
Dragon Ball Wishes
Dragon Ball World Guide
Every Single Fight
Final Battle!
Jap. Game Reviews
Growing Up
Guides
Important Numbers
Item Guide
Japanese Lessons
King Kamehameha
Lyrics
Merchandise Guide
Movie Reviews
Name Puns
Name Translations
Newbie Guide
Power Levels
Relation Charts
Red Ribbon Army Ranks
Room of Spirit and Time
Saiya-jin Forms
Special Attacks
Tenkaichi Budoukai Info
Training Locations
Voice Actors

Multimedia
Daizenshyu Scans
Final Bout Scans

Video Games
Game Reviews
DBZ Sagas Walkthrough

Fan Fiction
by Amy Riddell, 12

Chapter 1:
The black star dragon balls

Gohan only had to take one god damn measly look at the pile of studies and books he had to read to blow up. “darn it!” He yelled, raring up to super saiyan status.
“Gohan! I heard that, I’m not deaf you know. Get on with it.” Chi-chi called up the stairs.
“God; I defeat Cell, lose my dad, break my arm, nearly die, save Vegeta’s life and the world including mom, and come home to THIS? Well thanks for saving the god damn world Gohan,” He mumbled angrily, calmed down to normal stage and sat down. But as he opened the first book he got the shock of his life, there was a dragon ball in there! “Er…. Mom, I think you’d better take a look at this,” He said as his mother walked past with a pile of washing-up and her stomach flaring out at all sides (if you asked Gohan why then and there, he would have been stuck for words.) Chi-chi smiled and said, “look in the inside cover of the book,” she then walked off, sounding like an elephant with the weight of her stomach. Gohan was a little confused, but did as he was told. His astonishment then was almost unmatchable, he read the words over and over again, was he dreaming?

Gohan,
In the seven books you possess, there are seven dragon balls with black stars on them instead of red, be careful with these, they were made by Kami many years ago, when he was still fused with Picolo, and he told me to take them somewhere safe. You were my first option, since I’m dead, these dragon balls also grant wishes, but be careful because as soon as the dragon grants your wish, the balls will be scattered all over the universe and in a years time, if they are not brought together again then the world will be destroyed. I miss you,
Love father

p.s. send my best wishes to your mother

“Wow, for a minute there I thought mom had finally lost it,” Gohan chuckled, closing the books and hiding them under his bed along with many other things he hid from his all-eyes mother. Without anything to do Gohan simply lay down on his soft bed and drifted off into an easy slumber. When he awoke he found himself alone in the house, frustrated and concerned for where his mother was, hoping that he would find a note somewhere, searched the house. But he didn’t, all he found was his loudly snoring grandfather (the Ox king) snoozing in an armchair. Gohan felt strangely relieved as he knew that if his grandfather wasn’t running around like a complete loony, his mother must be fine. He sighed heavily and ventured outside to train as he was fully rejuvenated (after a sneaky bar of chocolate).
Five hours went by, and Gohan began to worry again even though his grandfather snoozed in the background. He puzzled and puzzled on where his mom could be, but kept hitting a dead end. He decided to try the impossible, “Dad? Can you hear me?” He called out to the crystal blue sky, not even daring to blink. “Yes Gohan, I can hear you.” The concern in his father’s voice startled Gohan slightly, but did not make him hesitate to ask his question. “Good, have you seen mom anywhere? It’s been almost seven hours since I woke up and found her gone, I’m worried.”
“Er… I’ll try and lock onto her signal, to tell you the truth Gohan, I’ve been concerned for Chi-chi myself, as her energy is getting weaker by the minute, Oh, wait… found her!” Gohan beamed with joy, “Where is she?” Goku’s voice turned cold,
“She’s at the… the hospital. How….. Gohan, go quickly, she might be hurt!”
“I will Dad, goodbye!”
“Bye son, and take care of her, no matter what.”
“You can trust me,” Gohan put his fingers to his forehead and disappeared.

Chapter 2:
Videl


He rematerialized outside, wait a minute…. He was outside the maternity ward. Then it all came to him, his mother had been pregnant the whole time! A kind-looking young woman put her hand on his shoulder and said in an almost hushed tone, “Hi there, what are you here for?” Gohan turned his head towards her and replied, “I think my mom’s in here, er.. Son Chi-chi?” The nurse laughed,
“Oh her? The One who was sparring before her waters broke? Daughter of the Ox-king? Hey wait a second, you’re the kid who defeated Cell! I mean, I know Hercule said it was him, but everyone in the world knows it was you!” Gohan quickly turned away to avoid being attacked by people asking for miracles (ha) again. He murmured to the nurse, scarcely moving his lips, “Yes, but keep it quiet. Where’s my mom?” The nurse looked grim, “She needs time to recover, she gave birth to a, what-you-might-call-it.”
“half-saiyan,” Gohan muttered angrily.
“oh, right. How do you know that?”
“I’m half-saiyan too.” God this woman was dim-witted, he thought, a little irritated by her. “When will she be allowed visitors?”
“A couple of hours.”
“OK, I’ll be back.” Gohan walked down the corridor, his footsteps echoing through the hospital, hands in his pockets, thinking. “Mom was actually having a baby? This whole time? She didn’t even tell dad?” Gohan quizzed himself with the same questions for two whole hours, as he walked in circles through the empty hospital. He made a sharp right to be careful not to bump into that woman again, but instead bumped into a girl. Actually, bumped into wasn’t the phrase that exactly fitted, he knocked her flying. “Oh jeez, sorry, didn’t mean to bump into you like that,” He apologized, hoisting the girl to her feet. She looked at him and blinked her huge dreamy blue eyes, she smiled, “It’s cool, I wasn’t really paying attention to where I was going, hey, where have I seen you before? Are you in a hairstyling advert? ‘cos seriously, I’ve never seen a guy with that hair, except that kid battling Cell…”
“Rambling.” Gohan put his index finger on her mouth, shutting her up.
“Oh, sorry, I do get carried away sometimes, anyway, where HAVE I seen you?”
“Errr.. nowhere,” Gohan turned away to avoid more idiots asking loads of questions.
“Don’t worry, I’ll stay quiet, I promise!”
“OK, OK, I’m the kid who whacked Cell.”
“Wow, you must be pretty strong, y’know, since my dad couldn’t beat him; he’s mister Satan y’know, my dad.”
“Mister Satan?” Last time Gohan saw Mister Satan (aka Hercule); he was described by his Vegeta as “weak sauce”. “No offence, very-loud-mouthed person, but your dad is kinda weak.” Gohan folded his arms and looked at very-loud-mouthed-person, waiting for her shocked face; instead, she looked rather upset. He widened his eyes and put his arm around her, “Sorry, did I upset you or something?” The girl actually leaned against Gohan’s chest, making him blush slightly, and said quietly, “So you know? You know my dad is really weak? How many others know that?”
“Well… I don’t really know…” Gohan thought, “Anyway, what’s your name? It’s a bit useless calling you very-loud-mouthed-person,” Gohan laughed, taking his arm from the girls shoulder, to stop him going so red his face would make the walls catch fire, “I’m Gohan anyway, so I might as well know your name..”
“Rambling,” The girl murmured, and put her finger on Gohan’s mouth, she smiled, “I’m Videl.”
“I’m sorry Videl, I do get carried away sometimes,” Gohan joked, moving closer to Videl, letting her jet-black hair rub against his face, sort of liking it tickling his cheek. “Apology accepted, Gohan.” Videl turned to face him, moving her face closer to his, feeling his soft breathing on her cheeks as he stopped her with his finger, “Wait, how long have we known each other?”
“Long enough,” Videl grinned, moved his finger out the way, moved closer still, closed her eyes, pouted her lips, hoping Gohan would do the same…

Chapter 3:
It’s not over yet


A Harsh scream rang out in the hospital corridors, making the ground almost shake, interrupting Gohan and Videl. Gohan turned round, taking Videl’s hand and protecting her, not quite sure what was going on. “Darn it, there’s always SOMETHING to save, even when you’re busy.”
“It’s OK Gohan, you can do this anytime, you can’t save the world whenever you want, it has to be done straight away.”
“You sound like my dad, really you do, wait here.” Gohan powered up and flew through the corridors to the source of the scream. When he got to the cause of the scream, he found his mother lying in the middle of the hallways, in a pool of blood, and a small child with hair like his father in the arms of… “Cell?” Gohan stared at his mother, clenched his fists, his anger slipping, “DARN YOU!!” He cried in a flurry of confusion, soaring from super saiyan to ascended saiyan. Gohan’s knuckles where white from confusion and anger as he threatened, “Drop the boy.” Cell did nothing. “Drop the boy, NOW!”
“Or what?” He didn’t sound much like Cell; his voice was raspy, low-pitched yes, but not as low as Cell. “Or I will kill you again, just as easily as I did before Cell, no games.”
“Ha, you really think I’m Cell? No way, I would never be caught dead even trying to be my brother.”
“So, you’re not Cell? Then who are you?”
“I’m his sister, Vein.” Vein stepped forward, she looked exactly like Cell, only pink and as she said, a girl. “Look, please drop the boy, for god’s sake, he’s just a kid.”
“And you think I have mercy on kids? It was a KID who killed Cell, and I’m out for revenge on the little slime ball.”
“Then I’m the one you want, pinkie.” Gohan stepped into fighting stance.
“Oh really? You’re the kid who whacked my brother? HA! I always knew he was weak, but that’s ridiculous; give me your best shot.”
“First…” Gohan used the same technique he used on Cell, and snatched the child from Vein’s arms. “I’d like my brother back.”
“How did you do that?” Vein snarled, narrowing her eyes, “I want to know.”
“And you ain’t gonna know.” Gohan let a smile play on his lips as he stood back up. He quickly instant translocated his mother and younger brother to safety, hoping Videl had made it out. When he reappeared, he found Vein with 7 study books next to her, she was reading the note Goku had given Gohan. “No, the dragon balls.”
“With pretty black stars on them too young Gohan, they’re so nice, I think I’ll wish for something, actually no, I’m a bit tired of talking, YOU will.”
“No, I won’t, I’ll STOP you yes, but make the wish myself? No thanks.”
“Uhuh, well I think when I show you this..” Vein held out Videl and put and energy ball next to her head, Gohan was shocked, “You MONSTER!” He cried, trying to think of what to do next,
“Heard it all before kid.”
“Gohan!” Videl cried, “Don’t worry about me, think of the consequences making a wish will have on us all! I don’t matter!”
“Yes you do Videl, what do you want vein?”
“Hmmm let’s see, eternal life.”
“Very well.” Gohan summoned the dragon to him, wincing as ash flew into his eyes, as Shenron revealed himself. “Who disturbs my slumber?” The eternal dragon said in his usual low voice. “umm… I did… Shenron.” Gohan stepped forward timidly, not even bothering to look at Vein, “I have a wish to make,” He said boldly, still not even glancing at Vein, “No, Gohan don’t!” Videl screamed, she watched in horror as Gohan wished for Vein’s eternal life. “It shall be done.” Shenron replied, the dragon’s eyes glowed blood-red, as he fulfilled Vein’s wish. Shenron disappeared shortly after; the dragon balls rose into the air, lit up in their usual orange colour, and flew with the speed of light to their individual planet. Gohan managed to grab two of them before they rose, and another one while they were in the air. “Four more to go, and it hasn’t even been an hour yet.” He announced triumphantly. Vein flew off, leaving Videl standing in the middle of the hospital corridor. She ran towards Gohan; “I can’t believe you just did all of that. For me.” Tears welled up in her eyes, she stared at Gohan, “You were worth the risk.” Gohan wiped the tears from her eyes, bent down and kissed her lips tenderly, enjoying the sensation.

Chapter four:
Built into a spaceship


Gohan walked back and forth, back and forth, back and forth again, clenching his fists, thinking. “How am I gonna get these other dragon balls from the planets without a spaceship or radar?”
“You mean how are WE gonna get them back.” Videl butted in, “I got you into this mess Gohan, and I’m gonna help get you out whether you like it or not.” Gohan looked doubtful about Videl’s decision, but he needed all the help he could get.
“Look, do you know the president of Capsule corp.?”
“Bulma? Yeah, she was a friend of my dad’s.”
“Was?”
“He sacrificed his life to save the world when Cell threatened to destroy it by self-destructing.”
“Oh god, I’m so sorry.” Videl put her hand on his shoulder, giving it a gentle squeeze for comfort. Gohan smiled and put his hand on hers, “I’m living with it.” He said. He scooped her up in his arms and flew off with the speed of an energy blast to Capsule corp. “Bulma? You in here? HEY!” Gohan shouted around the main lab, “She’s probably with Trunks, she hardly ever works since he was born.”
“I didn’t know the owner of Capsule corp. was a woman, let alone with kids.” Videl blinked and looked around suspiciously, “Hardly mother material.”
“Well Trunks is just a baby, Bulma’s owned this place since she was a teenager, long before Trunks came along.”
“Oh, girls rule! I mean, this place is the BOMB!”
“Yeah, it’s cool alright, but the one who makes me appreciate women is my mom…. She is actually scary sometimes.”
“ha-ha, I thought the same about my Mom, until she died of course.”
“You’re kidding?”
“It wasn’t much of a loss to me really, she didn’t exactly treat my dad and I the way a mother should, I mean, when I was five, she engraved something on my stomach with a red hot lance, it still hurts even now.”
“Let’s see it, maybe I can identify it for you,” Gohan looked at her, concerned, worried even, for his friend.
“OK, but I warn you, it’s not that nice.” Videl lifted her t-shirt just high enough so Gohan could see the scar carved on the right hand side of Videl’s flat stomach just above her belly-button. He grimaced. He had seen that mark before. “I told you Gohan, but can you define it?”
“I can define the darn thing alright, that’s the mark of the red ribbon army. It’s almost destroyed my family on many occasions.” Gohan clenched his fists, “How did she die?”
“They say a legendary warrior with golden hair killed her after she threatened to kill his son….”
“Me,” Gohan murmured. “It was my father who killed your mother Videl, but that was a long time ago.”
“Of course!” Videl snapped her fingers, “I knew I recognised you from somewhere!”
“Aren’t you at all miserable? That my father killed your mother…. For me?”
“After what she did to me? Of course not!”
“Oh, it’s just, from what I remember your mother was a nice person, there was just something wrong with her, a disease that the late Dr. Gero planted in her body that made her into a psychopathic cold-blooded murderer, my father didn’t want to kill her, but I’m not sure he wanted me dead all that much either,” Gohan’s face fell, “I’m sorry.”
“Oh, I never thought it to be that way,” Videl placed a quivering hand on Gohan’s arm, comforting him. “Don’t be disturbed about it Gohan, I mean, everything happens for a reason right? I mean, if your dad hadn’t done that, you wouldn’t have survived to defeat Cell, you see?”
“Uhuh.”
“HEY! Gohan! I haven’t seen you in a while! Who’s your girlfriend?”
“Sorry Bulma, can’t talk for long, I need the radar for the black star dragon balls.”
“Some villain thingy made a wish,” Videl added.
“Oh god, boys and their toys and saving the world! You still haven’t answered my question Gohan, who’s the girl?”
“Her name’s Videl, and she’s NOT my girlfriend.”
“You’re red.”
“Darn it,” Gohan mumbled and covered his cheeks, he smiled sheepishly at Bulma, “That doesn’t mean she’s my girlfriend, besides, it’s warm in here,” he lied, stepping forward, Videl rolled her eyes at Gohan, “What’s wrong with you?” She laughed, “it’s not that bad, last time I heard,” Videl looked at Bulma snidely, “Bulma isn’t even married, and she’s had a kid, besides, you haven’t even asked me out yet, so why go red?”
Gohan’s cheeks died down to their normal olive colour, he sighed, relieved. Now it was Bulma’s turn to flush scarlet. “Oh, er, I’ll just go get the radar, it’s built into a spaceship I started building last week, when your father got King Kai to tell me about them before he sent the balls to you.” She hurried out into the left corridor. “Thank you,” Gohan mouthed to Videl, she nodded, “Haven’t you ever been in a situation like that before?” She whispered, “Um, no, not really, I mean, I’ve never actually had a girlfriend.”
“Hard to believe.”
“Hey! What’s that supposed to mean?” Gohan looked at Videl, laughing her head off.

Chapter 5
The first planet


“OK, here we are,” Bulma gestured fondly towards a ghastly spaceship standing on three steel legs in the centre of the room. “Ew,” Gohan and Videl chorused.
“No offence Bulma, but, that thing is horrible,” Gohan pointed at the machine, narrowing his eyes.
“Well it’s no George Clooney….”
“HUH?” Gohan and Videl were stumped, that was for sure.
“You don’t know who George Clooney is?” The kids shook their heads simultaneously.
“Ugh, anyway, he’s no Jesse McCartney or Britney Spears but…”
“Oh yeah, we know now!” Gohan and Videl started chatting and nodding their heads at Bulma.
“Ugh. ANYWAY!” She shouted, catching them both of guard, they stumbled, and fell into the hollow wall with a massive CRASH, Gohan groaned and rubbed his head, “C’mon, Bulma, lay off.”
“Yeah,” Videl butted in, “we’re KIDS, we gotta talk sometime.” Then Bulma completely lost her mind, “look, do you two want to save the world, or NOT?!” She screeched at the top of her voice, which brought Vegeta down the stairs, with a screaming Trunks in one hand. “Bulma? What the hell are you playing at woman? Can’t you see Trunks and me are trying to sleep? Honestly, Gohan, I have no idea how you sleep with your stupid mother at Kakarot all the time, when the clown was still alive of course.” Gohan began to snigger at Vegeta’s rambling, and Videl just stifled a giggle, with no idea who Vegeta was, or what his ‘role’ was to other saiyans. “I have no idea Vegeta,” He said, in mid-laugh, “I guess I just get to sleep easily.”
“Well you would, your mother puts you to bed so early.”
“Does she hell?! I go to bed when I please, most of the time I’m the one who gets the arguing started over whether I should study or not.”
“I would vote strongly against.”
“Same here Vegeta, that’s why the arguing starts.”
“Um… hi? When you two are finished gossiping, we have a planet to get to Gohan,” Videl scowled at the two, wondering which was older, they were both the same height relatively, and they both acted the same age. “Oh, yeah, well, later Vegeta.”
“Bye kid.” Vegeta steadied Trunks, still whining, and cradled him, rocking him gently.
That guy has really changed, thought Gohan as he clambered unsteadily into the ship, ever since my father died, he’s been far less arrogant, much more sociable, and far more relaxed, maybe it’s just because he doesn’t have to worry about my dad being there having to be surpassed. “Gohan? Hey, you’ve stalled, you there?” Gohan was awoken from his thoughts by Videl’s hand waving in front on his face, he shook his head rapidly, “Sorry, just, daydreaming I guess.” He carried on into the ship. Some time later, about 2 million miles from Earth’s orbit, the children found themselves on the first planet, Zenzubus, inhabited by the hopefully friendly Bavarianese. “Hopefully,” Videl repeated out loud, “I know, it’s OK, I’m sure we’ll manage a few.. err… what colour are they?”
Videl laughed and put his arm around him, having to stand on her toes because he was tall compared to her. They walked out together, to these…. things.

Chapter six:
Friend or foe?

Videl looked around in disbelief, clinging to the casual Gohan walking alongside her, the Bavarianese were so strange, their skin began to change colour prior to their mood, a screaming infant glowed orange, a happily playing child was a sunny yellow colour, a sleeping old man was pale white, and a male (that’s what she thought) and his girlfriend varying shades of warm red and pink. As for their appearance and clothing, what could she say? Their antennae were so long they curled right down their backs and to their heels, and they were all so incredibly thin, they looked ill! Their clothing however, was amazingly baggy and long, all white, and no shoes. “Er, Gohan?” Her voice squeaked from fear and scepticism, he looked down at her and laughed, “Are you OK? What’s wrong? Bit weird for you? You seemed fine when Vein and the eternal dragon came up!”
“That was because of the adrenalin in the moment!” She pushed him playfully to the right, straight into a wall, which set off a loud blaring alarm, causing a crowd around the youngsters. Gohan scowled, and readied himself to fight, Videl looked around fearfully, her hands glued to Gohan’s shoulders, eyes widening more and more which each passing moment.
A loud whisper began to sprout from the mob, Gohan then noticed what was on their heads, this was why they were different colours, they were all the dead from the other world.
“Psst, Videl” Gohan leaned over to her ear, “Listen, don’t try to hurt these guys, they’re dead.” Videl gasped, and almost fainted, to be caught by two strong hands. &nbs p; Amazingly, they weren’t Gohan’s. Videl grunted as she landed on the two strong arms that prevented her from her fall, and looked up, now, it was Gohan’s turn to step back in amazement. “Raditz.”
“Wait a minute, you know this guy?” Gohan nodded slowly, then picked her up, giving Raditz his worst look. He took Videl aside from the crowd, and whispered to her, “Listen, he’s my uncle, but he’s a bad guy, don’t tell him my identity though, I want it to be a surprise.” He laughed inside, this should be fun.
“Hey, kid!” Raditz called out, “You’re not dead, what are you doing here?”
“We’re looking for a dragon ball with black stars on it, I’m sure you know of them.”
“I know of red-starred balls, but not the kind with black markings, no.”
“Well, the ship lead us here, so we’re just gonna take the dragon ball and leave thanks, the one in your pocket. Raditz.” Radtiz took a step back, dumbstruck, he began to pace towards Gohan.
“Who are you? And what planet are you from?”
“You’ll need your scouter to know who I am, but it was destroyed about, 5,6, 7 years ago. By a saiyan and an… er… namek, wasn’t it?” Raditz gawped, his mouth opening, closing, and opening again. “I er, I…..what planet are you from, boy? And how do you know of my brother and his friend?”
“You still don’t recognise me? I’m quite amazed, and shocked that my own flesh and blood doesn’t know.”
“WHAT?!”
“Allow me to show you,” Gohan powered up, let his hair turn its bright gold colour, his eyes glowed green, he stared at his uncle, and grinned. “Well?” Raditz didn’t know what to do, he just kept stepping back.
“You, you, you’re a.. a.. a super saiyan! That’s not possible! It’s only a myth!”
“Not exactly, four of us have reached it. The saiyan prince Vegeta, his son Trunks, my father, and me.”
“Who, boy, are the mothers? If their sons have reached this, they must be the most powerful saiyan women in the world!”
“Oh, no, my mother is human, so is Trunks’.”
“Hold up, boy, did you say, this Trunks, his father is the saiyan prince?” Raditz chuckled, “As if!”
“You got a time machine? I can take you to him if you want, and if you climb aboard our ship, we might just take you to Vegeta, but my father died a year ago.”
“You’re not Kakarot’s son then! A relief, his power was strange, but amazing, his anger management was clearly out of order.”
“Well, maybe you’ll recognize me when I fight you.”
“Eh?” But Gohan had already lunged forward, powered up to super saiyan two, and landed an easy punch, right on the side of Raditz’ face, he coughed as blood lurched out of his mouth. He fell to the floor. Gohan landed at his side, and peered down at his sorry face.
“That wasn’t the first time my father died Raditz, he died many years ago, but was brought back to life by the dragon balls, one of which was on my hat all those years ago.”
Raditz, mouth opened wide, showing the blood still swirling around his mouth, he spat it out onto the ground beside him, panting hard.
“You, you are the son of Kakarot?”
“Gohan. Remember uncle? You almost killed my father, then tried to murder me. Is that any way to treat family?”
”Is this?” Raditz cupped his hands over his mouth to try and stop the bleeding. Gohan used his “Speed hand technique” again, taking the dragon ball from Raditz’ pockets.
He stretched out his other hand, and an energy ball materialized,
“You should be proud of me uncle, I have ascended super saiyans status, killed the android my father could not, and now, I will be your killer. I am only doing this so you won’t bother my father when he comes here, and, for revenge.” Gohan thrust his outstretched hand even further forward, and blasted his uncle with huge force. Raditz was never to be seen again. Gohan powered down, turned to Videl and calmly said, “Just three more.”

Chapter 7
Technical difficulties


Gohan stumbled, flicking the odd switch here and there, panic flying on and off his face. He looked a bit like doctor Who, really.
“You look a bit like Doctor Who,” Videl giggled, as she watched from the sidelines, Gohan’s head snapped to the right, and it was clear he wasn’t in the mood for jokes.
“Something’s wrong with the ship,” he said anxiously, wiping beads of sweat from his forehead, “The brakes are shot, we can’t accelerate, steer or show the radar, we need to leave. Now.”
“Are there escape pods?” Videl asked, trying to sound like she knew what she was talking about, clinging to Gohan’s T-shirt sleeve so she didn’t fall, he held her tight, asking himself the same question. He had never asked Bulma. This was his worst mistake, he decided, he had sealed both of their deaths. He looked down at Videl’s scared face, so close to him he could hear her heartbeat and feel her breath, getting colder and colder. A single tear ran down his cheek and onto his shoulder, how could he just let her die like this? He quickly wiped his eyes, and embraced her softly, he sighed, “I don’t know, I never asked. I’m sorry Videl, I’ve decided your death and the death of the Earth, I’ve failed again.”
“Oh god, don’t say that! You don’t know yet!” She held him tighter still, tears flowing out of her eyes now, “Don’t give up on yourself just yet, it isn’t over, just look for an escape pod, we’ll be fine!” She tried to look hopeful, but her confidence in him was waning slowly. He caressed her cheek gently, “It’s impossible to keep track of how you’re feeling!” He kissed her affectionately on the corner of her mouth, and piloted her through the corridors. “Wait! Gohan!” Se shouted breathlessly, “The radar! We need the radar!”
“Crap, I forgot!” He cried, “wait here, and don’t move.” He disappeared and reappeared in seconds, the radar in his hands. “Let’s go,” he took her hand again and ran through the ship, took a left turn, steered right, straight ahead, WHAM! Gohan rubbed his head, that’ll be a bruise. “Gohan!” Videl exclaimed, gesturing to the right, “look!” Gohan walked unsteadily over to where she was pointing, success! “Thank you Bulma, you blue haired idiot.” Gohan clambered in, whacking his head again off the ceiling. Videl followed suit, only without the head-bashing. “You’d think you were Captain Caveman the way you’re going!” She nagged,
“Who’s he?”
“Never mind, got the dragon balls?”
“Yep,” Gohan tapped his jeans pocket, where he had obviously stashed the dragon balls after he “over killed” Raditz, Videl pushed a large blue button next to the door, shutting it, while Gohan jabbed at a black one, sending the pod flying off to their next destination.

Chapter 8
Emotions unearthed


As they zoomed through space, Videl and Gohan kept huddled close together since the temperature was decreasing rapidly and because space was limited. Suddenly the ship heaved forward, Videl held onto a pipe, Gohan hit his head off the door. Jesus Christ on a freaking bike, if I hit my head once more off an inanimate object, I will SCREAM. He probably would, who knew. “Hey, you OK?” Videl whispered gingerly, Gohan groaned in reply, and cursed for all it was worth, swearing like a sailor. Videl laughed, “Come on,” she gestured to the door, “Try to do something other than hit your head on it.” Gohan nodded slowly, still rubbing his sore head, and exited the pod. When he got out he nearly hit his head again, this time deliberately, they were back on Earth! “Shit!” He bellowed, punching the grass, cursing again, “What the hell are we doing here? Shit shit shit shit! Godammit!” He pounded the ground with his fists until they bled, tears started running from his eyes out of their own accord, reducing Gohan’s aggressive movements to shudders as he sobbed loudly, and fell back, landing with a thump on the green. Videl lay next him, wiped his tears with her sleeve,
“This must mean so much to you,” she said, trying to be comforting, “I couldn’t do this, what you and your family are doing, I couldn’t stand it.”
“I’ve been in battles like this since I was five, and all of the battles have been won one way or another, I can’t believe I’m being beaten down by an android!”
“Everyone makes mistakes Gohan.”
“No, it’s not like that, every time, almost every time I got to take a shot at the saiyan Nappa when I was six, I was scared, I held back, frightened. Then, when I was battling Cell, if I had finished him off when I was told, he would be dead sooner, and, I…” He burst into tears again, “I would never have lost my dad.”
Videl gasped, her upper lip began to tremble, she scooted closer to Gohan, put two of her fingers to her lips, kissed them, and placed them on Gohan’s forehead. The saiyan sign of love. Gohan opened his eyes and stared hard at Videl, “How do you know that sign?”
“Your dad taught me it, I wouldn’t speak so he talked in sign language, he was saying ‘your mom loved you’. Why?”
“Because that’s a saiyan mark, it looks like my dad didn’t lose all of his saiyan programming.”
“Saiyan what?”
“A long time ago, when my dad was very small, he was put in a sort of incubation chamber to be readied to come and destroy this planet, he was being programmed by the chamber to think of only destruction, no emotions, he…”
“Wait a minute, wait a minute, you mean to say your dad was supposed to destroy this place?”
“Yes, as I was saying, he was sent to Earth to ensure its destruction, but he hit his head on something, and was thought to have lost all his programming. Vegeta taught me that sign long ago when he was talking about the saiyan race.”
“I see.” Gohan rose to his full height, and held out his arm to Videl,
“Come on, we should find Bulma.”
“OK… you seem cheerful!”
“You got some good pep-talks, now come on! Let’s go save this place, huh?”
“OK, you got it!” Videl grabbed his arm, pulled herself up and ran with him, hand in hand.


 

- All material copyright of Pojo.com.
c-1999-2007

This site is not associated with Cartoon Network or TOEI Entertainment.
Dragonball Z  is a registered trademark of TOEI Animation CO., LTD.